For the 2021 Rattle Chapbook Prize
1) The $25 entry fee is a one-year subscription to Rattle (or a one-year extension for subscribers) at our regular rate. New subscriptions will start with the next season’s issue. Current subscribers will receive a one-year extension. Due to shipping costs, international entries through Submittable will receive a 3/4 subscription (three mailings) instead of the full year.
2) Three winners, judged by the editors of Rattle in an anonymous review, will receive $5,000 and 500 author copies of their chapbook, which will also be distributed to all of Rattle’s 7,000+ subscribers along with a future issue of the magazine. At least one of the winners will be a poet who has never published a full-length collection of poetry (48 pages or more) prior to 2021.
3) Open to writers, worldwide; poems must be written primarily in English (no translations). Individual poems may be previously published in any format, but the manuscript as a whole must be unpublished as a collection. Do not include any poems that have been published in Rattle—if the chapbook includes poems that we have published, they may be added back before publication, but we cannot consider them during the blind review of this contest. If you have an open submission at Rattle that includes poems from the chapbook, include a note letting us know. Manuscripts may include images or other artwork. Simultaneous submissions are allowed, but we must be notified immediately if the manuscript is accepted for publication elsewhere, either by sending a message through Submittable, or by phone or email if submitting by post.
4) Manuscripts may be 15 – 30 pages of poems (not including front- or back-matter), with any reasonable fonts or font sizes (12 pt, etc.). Do not include any identifying information within the manuscript itself. If submitting in hard copy, include a cover letter that includes your contact information, the title of the manuscript, and previously published books—do not include a cover letter if using Submittable. If any of the poems have been previously published, include an acknowledgments page. A table of contents and page numbering are nice, but optional.
5) Multiple entries by a single poet are accepted, however each manuscript must be treated as a separate entry, each with an additional $25 fee. Each additional entry will add an extra year to your subscription. Contest entry fees are non-refundable and cannot be edited after submission, so please be sure to submit only your final versions of the poems.
6) The winners will be announced on April 15th. Unpublished individual poems from the manuscripts may also be offered standard publication in Rattle. Please remember to include an acknowledgments page so that we know which poems have already been published individually.
7) Entries may be submitted electronically through Submittable, or in hardcopy within the United States. International entries must be submitted by Submittable. Please note that we’re no longer accepting email entries—all electronic entries must come through Submittable.
(CHOOSE ONLY ONE!)
Click this link to our Submittable contest page and purchase your subscription and upload your file through that system. Be sure to upload the entire manuscript as one single file, after removing all identifying information. Accepted file types: doc, docx, txt, rtf, odt, pdf.
January 15, 2021
U.S. entries only! Include a check or money order for $25, payable to Rattle. Include a cover sheet with your name, contact information, and the title of the chapbook. Also let us know whether or not you have published a full-length book of poetry in the past. Note that this is a postmark deadline, so don’t waste money on rush or special delivery. Manuscripts will not be returned. Send entries to:
12411 Ventura Blvd
Studio City, CA 91604
January 15, 2021