1) The entry fee is a one-year subscription to Rattle (or a one-year extension for subscribers) at our regular $25 rate. Prior to May 1st, new subscriptions will start with the Summer 2018 issue, arriving in June. After May 1st, new subscriptions will start with the Fall 2018 issue, arriving September 1st. Current subscribers will receive a one-year extension.
2) One $10,000 Winner and ten $200 Finalists will be selected in an anonymous review by the editors of Rattle and printed in the Winter 2017 issue; one $2,000 Readers’ Choice Award will then be chosen from among the Finalists by subscriber and entrant vote.
3) Open to writers, worldwide; poems must be written in English (no translations). Rattle’s winter issue must be a potential first publication for all works submitted. No previously published works, or works accepted for publication elsewhere. Simultaneous submissions are allowed, but we must be notified immediately if any poems are accepted elsewhere. If you submitted by mail, just call or email to let us know. On Submittable, log in and add a note to your submission (under the “Activity” tab).
4) No identifying personal or contact information should appear on any pages with poems. We can’t know who you are while reading.
5) Entry fees are non-refundable. Send up to four poems per entry. There is no line-limit. Poems may be any length, any style, or any subject. Multiple entries by a single poet are accepted, however each group of four poems must be treated as a separate entry, each with its own cover sheet and an additional $25 fee. Each additional entry will add an extra year to your subscription.
6) Manuscripts will not be returned; include a SASE or email address if you’d like to be notified of the results. Winners will be announced September 15, 2018, and the Readers’ Choice Award Winner will be announced February 15, 2019. Additional entries may also be offered standard publication.
7) Entries may be submitted by Submittable, or in hardcopy within the United States. International entries must be submitted by Submittable. Please note that we’re no longer accepting email entries—all electronic entries must come through Submittable.
(CHOOSE ONLY ONE!)
Click the link to our Submittable contest page to purchase your subscription and upload your file through that system. Be sure to include all the poems that you’re submitting in a single file (.doc, .docx, .pdf, .rtf, .txt), removing any identifying information. Contact information is supplied through the online form.
11:59 p.m. PST
July 15, 2018
U.S. entries only! Include a check or money order for $25, payable to Rattle. For postal entries only, the first page of your packet must be a cover sheet: Type or print clearly your name, address, email address, phone number, and the titles of the poems onto the first page. Include the poems themselves (with titles) on subsequent pages, with each poem beginning a new page. Note that this is a postmark deadline, so there’s no need to waste money on rush delivery; regular mail in a cheap envelope is best. Send entries to:
12411 Ventura Blvd
Studio City, CA 91604
July 15, 2018