For the 2017 Rattle Chapbook Prize
1) The $20 entry fee is a one-year subscription to Rattle (or a one-year extension for subscribers) at our regular rate. New subscriptions will start with the next season’s issue. Current subscribers will receive a one-year extension. Due to shipping costs, international entries through Submittable will receive a 0.75-year subscription (three issues) instead of the full year.
2) One winner, judged by the editors of Rattle in a blind review, will receive $2,000 and 500 author copies of their chapbook, which will also be distributed to all of Rattle‘s 7,000+ subscribers along with the Fall 2017 issue of the magazine.
3) Open to writers, worldwide; poems must be written in English (no translations). Individual poems may be previously published, but the manuscript as a whole must be unpublished as a collection. Do not include any poems that have been published in Rattle—if the chapbook includes poems that we have published, they may be added back before publication, but we cannot consider them during the blind review of this contest. Simultaneous submissions are allowed, but we must be notified immediately if the manuscript is accepted for publication elsewhere, either by adding a note to your entry (under the “Activity” tab in Submittable), or by phone or email if submitting by post.
4) Manuscripts may be 15 – 30 pages of poems (not include front- or back-matter), with any reasonable fonts or font sizes (12 pt, etc.). Do not include any identifying information within the manuscript itself. If submitting in hard copy, include a cover sheet with your contact information the title of the manuscript—do not include a cover sheet if using Submittable. If any of the poems have been previously published, include an acknowledgments page. A table of contents and page numbering are nice, but optional.
5) Multiple entries by a single poet are accepted, however each manuscript must be treated as a separate entry, each with an additional $20 fee. Each additional entry will add an extra year to your subscription. Contest entry fees are non-refundable and cannot be edited after submission, so please be sure to submit only your final versions of the poems.
6) The winner will be announced on April 15, 2017. Depending on the number of entries received (and thus program funding), additional manuscripts may be offered publication and distribution under terms to be negotiated. In 2016 we chose four chapbooks for publication as part of the series. Unpublished individual poems from the manuscripts may also be offered standard publication in Rattle.
7) Entries may be submitted electronically through Submittable, or in hardcopy within the United States. International entries must be submitted by Submittable. Please note that we’re no longer accepting email entries—all electronic entries must come through Submittable.
(CHOOSE ONLY ONE!)
Click this link to our Submittable contest page and purchase your subscription and upload your file through that system. Be sure to upload the entire manuscript as one single file, after removing all identifying information. Accepted file types: doc, docx, txt, rtf, odt, pdf.
January 15, 2017
U.S. entries only! Include a check or money order for $20, payable to Rattle. Include a cover sheet with your name, contact information, and the title of the chapbook. Send entries to:
12411 Ventura Blvd
Studio City, CA 91604
January 15, 2017